These are my favourite! They are so delicious and make a great breakfast snack or a light evening dessert. They also freeze really well. I got the recipe from Alive magazine. It’s a great magazine that always has healthy recipes that are easy.
I made a few substitutions but overall the recipe is really easy. Just a few suggestions. First, in order to get your egg whites hard, put your bowl and cake beaters in the freezer for as long as you can. That way the egg whites stiffen. Second, do not try to double this recipe. It’s better to make two separate batches. I tried to double and it was really hard to get 4 egg whites to stiffen and I didn’t really get double the recipe. Also, instead of putting the strawberries on top of the tea cake next time I would try mixing it into the batter.
Here’s the recipe I used:
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup millet flour
3 Tbsp agave
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp applesauce
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Lightly grease a muffin pan; set aside.
2. Mix together almond flour and millet flour; and baking powder in bowl. Stir in applesauce, agave, and butter.
3. In separate bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer for 4 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into almond mixture.
4. Fill each muffin cup half-full with batter and top with an uneven number of strawberries (or try stirring into the batter).
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned. Cool 10 minutes before unmolding.